Aims & Objectives
To promote the development of Pan African solutions to global problems linking Africans in the diaspora and on the continent.
To identify leadership skills that deliver identifiable benefits to diverse communities.
To address areas of real concern to progress the social cohesion and unity of Africa by helping to create a unified constructive approach to issues of security, human rights and the rule of law, empowering and uplifting all in society through creating real prosperity, and sustainable wealth through education and increased social mobility.
History of The Bandung Conference
Below you'll find the schedule for Bandung Conference 2018. We'll keep this page regularly updated with all new speakers and sessions, so be sure to keep checking in!
The Welcome Address will be delivered by the by Conference Co Chairs: Stanley Manduku & D Peter Herbert O.B.E.
Kenyan School children’s Choir
Video Presentation of Conference Themes and/or Welcome by Kenyan School children’s Choir.
Hon. Ken Ogeto
The Solicitor General of Kenya Hon. Ken Ogeto will give the Keynote address. “The Legacy, Reality and Vision of Bandung Revisited”
- Chair : D Peter Herbert O.B.E. (Judge & Former Vice-Chair Metropolitan Police Authority).
- Former Policing and Anti-Terrorism Adviser to the Mayor of London- Mr. Lee Jasper
- Mbijiwe Mwenda, (Former Major KDF), ‘Eye on Security”
- Judge Sailesh Mehta: UK Anti-Terrorism Expert, Red Lion Chambers
- Association of Victims of Terrorism of Terrorism Involvement In Countering Extremism:- Mr. Eliud Ambani Mulama- National Chairman, (Kenya)
- Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) (UK): Ms. Jennifer Izekor
- Dr Mustafa Y Ali : The Horn of Africa Institute (TBC)
Has the War on Terror been won or lost? (e.g. Operation Usalama Watch- part of the solution or part of the problem?)
- Chair: Ms Afua Hirsch: Author & TV Journalist
- Hon. Justice Isaac Lenaola MBS, (Supreme Court of Kenya)(EASC)
- Ms. Emmah Senge. – Director of the Strathmore Law clinic and advocate of the High Court of Kenya.(EASC)
- Mrs Ismet Rawat, Barrister, President of the Association of Muslim Lawyers (UK)
- Mr. Hashi Mohamed, No5 Barristers Chambers
- The Inspector General of Kenya Police: Joseph Kipchirchir Boinett: (TBC)
- Allen Gichuhi Waiyaki, President of the Law Society Kenya (LSK); (TBC)
Anti-Terrorism, Justice and Freedom : Are these Mutually exclusive?
Two moderators, (one regional & one external & Sessions to be led by NGO)
1. Can we counter terrorism without breeding extremism?b(Law Society Kenya) Led by Ms. Mercy Wambua (CEO) - Africa Bar
2. Building civil society in multi faith & multi ethnic societies (Kenya Human Rights Commission-Mr. George Kegoro
3. Counter terrorism: How does the Rule of Law apply; Led by (PALU-CEO Donald Deya)
4. Regional Conflict Resolution: Can it be achieved? (Amnesty International) (TBC)
5. Refugees and Migrants: How can we respect their needs? (Institute of Migration (IOM) Mr Jeffery Labovitz & Mr Salvatore Sortino)
6. Combating Corruption: Mission Impossible? Transparency International: Executive Director: Mr Samuel Kimeu
Two moderators, (one regional & one external & Sessions to be led by NGO)
Chair: Tanzanian or US Media Host (Hosted by Pan African Lawyers Association) – (TBC)“Are Human Rights an achievable goal or an NGO dream” (Sponsored by Pan African Lawyers Association)
- Donald Deya: Chief Executive Pan African Lawyers Association
- Veronic Wright : Senior Legal Officer( Office of the Prosecutor), OIC, United Nations International Residual Mechanism for Tribunals;
- Jeffery Labovitz: Immigration of Migration (IOM)
- Mr. George Kegoro-Kenyan Human Rights Commission (KHRC)
- Peter Ouko: Crime Si-Poa Organisation
- Ms Karin Pluberg: Adviser to the African Court of Human Rights
“Are Human Rights an achievable goal or an NGO dream” (Sponsored by Pan African Lawyers Association)
- Professor P.L.O. Lumumba: “Can we balance the need to combat Terrorism whilst respecting the rights of our citizens on the continent”
- 5.00 to 5.10 pm Housekeeping Announcements: Conference Co-Chairs
- 5.30 pm to 7.30 pm Drinks Reception sponsored by a Commercial Sponsor
Closing Address, Day One by Professor P.L.O. Lumumba & Conference Co-Chairs
Welcome by Conference Co Chairs : Stanley Manduku & Peter Herbert O.B.E.
Conference Moderator – Mr. Johnson Mwakazi
Hillcrest International School
Video Presentation of Conference Themes and Welcome by Kenyan School children’s Choir (preferably from Kibera & and Hillcrest International school). (Sponsored by Hillcrest International School)
Hillcrest International School & Karen C Secondary School
Children’s Satiric Re enactment of an encounter with East African Traffic Police; Bribe being paid to a civil servant; &/or politician; Exam test failure. (Hillcrest International School & Karen C Secondary School)
The Honourable Diane Abbott M.P. (The Shadow Home Secretary)
Kenyan Minister of Education (TBC)
Can education create development & wealth for all on the Continent?
- Chair: Ms Patricia Lamour: Aspire Education
- Diane Abbott M.P. : The Shadow Home Secretary, London & the Black Child
- Ms Sarah Muhingo: Kenyan Educational Consultant
- Open Society Foundations, Mrs. L. Muthoni Wanyeki - Director
- Mr. Martin Mbaya: Strathmore University
- Professor Catherine Ndungo - Kenyatta University
Can Education create development & wealth for all on the Continent?
1. Kenyatta University-Professor Catherine Ndungo- Language and Gender Teaching and helping the achievements of girls and boys in schools.
2. Educating unreached children for inclusive development - Ms. Joy Mdivo
3. Teaching entrepreneurship in schools and in communities-Strathmore University, Business School- Mr. Martin Mbaya and Aspire Education Group and Black Business Awards, Mr. Viv Ahmun
4. How can the new Kenyan curriculum be made to work for boys and girls?
Ms. Ann Njogu: The Centre for Rights Education & Awareness
Ms. Tegla Loroupe: Spokesperson for women’s rights and education
Honorable Edward Ouko - The auditor general of Kenya
“Exposing corruption-do the ends justify the means?”
1. Combating corruption; Whose money is it anyway? (Transparency International: Executive Director) : Mr Samuel Kimeu & Selemani Kinyunyu
2. The Use of Excessive Force : Can we restrain & train our security services? Mr Lee Jasper (former adviser to the Mayor of London) & and KHRC Mr. George Kegoro
3. Prisons: What rights should be respected?Led by Mr. Sammy Lovoni and Mr John Muthuri (African Prison Project)
4. How do we make our politicians accountable to the people? UNHCR - (TBC) Senior RSD Officer Mr. Daniel Kamphuis
Four Break Out Workshops : Ethics and the Law
- The African Union Advisory Board on Corruption : Selemani Kinyunyu
- Pan African Lawyers Association; Donald Deya
- Professor P.L.O Lumumba
- President of the Law Society of Kenya - Mr. Gichuhi Allen (TBC)
- Open Society Initiative, Mrs. L. Muthoni Wanyeki – Director
Question Time Panel: “Do we need more Ethical African Bees?”
- “The vision of our Pan African future” Professor P.L.O. Lumumba
- Close of the Conference: Housekeeping announcements & vote of thanks by Co Chairs
Closing address will be delivered by Professor P.L.O. Lumumba and there after vote of thanks given by the conference co-chairs.
Awards in eight categories
a) Criminal Justice
c) Journalism & Media
f) Human Rights defenders
h) Gender equality
Awards to Human Rights Activists at Gala Dinner
The Karen Country Club is a family oriented club, founded in 1937 and prides itself in being one of the oldest golf clubs in Kenya. A large part of the 18-hole course was built on the former coffee estate developed by the Danish pioneer Karen Blixen, whose life and times were depicted in the lyrical […]
Masai Mara National Reserve is known as one of the finest wildlife destinations in the World. There is an excellent chance of seeing the Big Five. Nowhere else in Africa is wildlife more abundant, and it is for this reason a visitor hardly misses to see the big five (buffalo, elephant, leopard, lion, and rhino). Wildlife […]
The conference will appeal to East African Government policy and decision makers, senior civil servants, human rights activists, teachers, lawyers, judges and magistrates, academicians, career diplomats in East Africa as well as members of the Pan African diaspora who wish to contribute to the progression of civil society in the region.
Early Bird Tickets before September 30th, 2018
Early Bird Pass$130
Price including VAT
Includes full access to 1 Day of talks + workshops + awards dinnerBook Now
- Day 1 Conference
- Day 1 Workshops
- Day 2 Conference Yes
- Day 2 Workshops Yes
- Awards Dinner Yes
A limited number of passes are now available but for a shot time only. Register now and we'll contact you with more details when it's time to complete your registration
Our Sponsors & Partners
We wouldn't be able to host our conference without help from these amazing companies. A huge thanks to all our sponsors and partners!
Crowne Plaza Nairobi is the perfect place to unlock your creativity plus the official conference hotel, all in the heart of Nairobi
On a calm street in Nairobi’s leading financial district is Crowne Plaza Nairobi, a five-star contemporary business hotel situated in the heart of Upperhill – a prime location that boasts of new-age architectural innovations.
Business guests will appreciate the convenient location, close to some of the world’s accredited multinationals, diplomatic missions and hospitals and 25 minutes to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Our leisure traveler will enjoy being just 7 minutes away from the Central Business District and other Nairobi Landmarks.
Crowne Plaza Nairobi is defined by its modern design, advanced accommodation and conferencing facilities and exceptional radiant services all tempered with a vibrant mix of art and colour. We top this with high speed WiFi available throughout the hotel, freshly prepared food and an array of drinks in our award-winning restaurants, bar and lounge.
- Check in time 2:00 PM
- Check out time 11:00 AM
- No of floors 5
- Total no of rooms 195
- Chain: Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts
Finding a good hotel can be tricky. So here are some of our favorite hotels nearby our event location
Video channel is now available
Welcome to The Bandung Conference YouTube channel, where you’ll find clips and full length videos from The Bandung Conference 2018 — www.bandungconference.com
Subscribe to the channel to stay on top of regular updates, check out talks from our archives and join our live stream from 22nd – 23rd November 2018.